Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Seven Redsky Pro: the myth of the Forever Bike

A proper forever bike requires a real head badge
Let me begin by stating that there is no "Forever Bike". I know the myth well. This is the favorite fairy tale of certain cyclists. It is the object of supreme desire among MAMILs (Middle Aged Men in Lycra). The formula for the Forever Bike is N(x)+1nx, where N is all the bicycles the enraptured cyclist owns and x is their retail price. The Forever Bike is dear enough to compel said cyclist to repeat the greatest bicycle fib to his spouse: "This is the last bike I'll ever want..."

Lemond at his best on a Bottecchia
Understand the power of the "Forever Bike" myth. Most cyclists begin their love of bicycles somewhere in childhood. The first type of bicycle that captures their interest is where the myth begins. The allure of THE bicycle one always wanted but never had is fantastic. For me my first love was road racing. I went from liking bikes to a passion for cycling by following a young Greg Lemond. I dreamed of racing on a brightly painted Bottecchia like his. To this day my favorite bikes are mostly road race bikes. Those are also the bikes I've ridden on for the bulk of my miles in the past 20 years. But in recent years my interests have changed. I spend as much time riding on dirt roads now as on pavement. So a bike with greater range for tires yet road race qualities would be the dream bike.
my Seven Cycles Red Sky Pro fitted out as the daily driver

I concede that pursuing the Forever Bike is like searching for leprechauns or chasing unicorns. Yet once in a while a new bicycle is so designed that I'm tempted to believe the myth. When Seven Cycles announced project Redsky I was intrigued. A road bike that could run 32mm tires, and fenders, with rim brakes? Impossible, unbelievable, yet mesmerizing. If any builder could make that real it would be my friends in Watertown, MA. When I contacted them about the Redsky project I gave them a tough order: I wanted a bike that would sprint & corner like a Trek Madone, climb like a Cannondale SuperSix, and be as comfortable as the latest Trek Domane all while being able to run 28mm tires with fenders. No problem they said. We discussed the design parameters, made some adjustments, and in 6 weeks a dream bike was born.
plenty of room for a frame pump, a key feature for a brevet racer or retro grouch

I took possession of my Seven Cycles Redsky Pro in September 2016. I built it out with the SRAM Red drivetrain. I chose to use TRP's RG957 medium reach caliper brakes with Jagwire compression less housing. After trying a few shapes and sizes I settled on a Zipp Contour SL handlebar for the width & flare. I also switched from a Selle Flite to a Bontrager Serano saddle. Of course all these bits are a matter of personal preference. I took a long time to ride & adjust the bike in order to find my best set up. I am writing this so far after initially building the bike since I wanted ride it all conditions. I've ridden the Redsky for approximately 8 months total broken up by a pair of long ski winters. I've had enough ride time now to test it in most every way I plan to use it.

room for 31mm gravel tires
The bike does everything I hoped it would. I've ridden it to personal best times up steep 5 mile climbs. I've kicked it up at over 1000 watts for town line sprints. I've been comfortable on it for a 150 mile all day tour through the White Mountains. I've ridden it in the rain with fenders and felt solid through every corner. The tires I've run range from 24mm race tubulars to 30mm gravel tires to 32mm cyclocross file treads to my regular training 28mm clinchers. All have fit the frame fine. Honestly I can not find significant difference in brake power between the TRP's and the SRAM Red calipers I used prior. I could certainly race this bike, but would likely not in a technical criterium for fear of wrecking it. I would ride it in some gravel events, but likely on smooth dirt roads rather than rocky & rutted jeep track. In summary I would happily ride the Redsky in a rolling road race or D2R2 or a fast Wednesday night group ride or a 400 km brevet. It is just that versatile with the right tires for the course.

room for 33mm file treads under TRP mid reach brakes
Is this my "forever bike"? I can not say I will always ride the way I do now. I hope to, but no one knows how interests might change in another decade. I might want a disc brake road bike some day, but so far good calipers work fine for me on the road. I still know that the forever bike is a myth, there is always a next bike, a N+1 bike, being crafted somewhere. But the Seven Redsky may be as close as I get to making that beautiful myth real.





No comments:

Post a Comment